Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dusting Love

Dusting.  The most desired of all chores. 

At my Seminary, on Saturday morning we have chores to keep our house in order and one of the seniors is in charge of assigning chores so that you are not doing the same thing every week.  After 3 years of being here I looked at the list after breakfast and my name was alone…under the heading of ‘dusting’.  God truly is good, all the time. 
Dusting is coveted because it is the easiest and quickest job and so your relaxing can start early.  However today, that simple chore hit my heart.  You’re probably thinking…what’s wrong with Blood…he hasn’t blogged in awhile…he must’ve gone off the deep end.  Bear with me.

I dusted the tops of some paintings, the bottom of some tables, but then I walked toward the front of the school and there stands a thousand pound statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  Down the face of Jesus are faint lines, such as that of someone who had been crying.  The tradition has it that every time a man leaves the seminary and he shouldn’t of, our Lord sheds a tear.  In my chore of dusting I was supposed to take care of the statues as well, and so with my cloth I slowly wiped the face of Jesus. 
Maybe dusting a statue is just dusting a statue but as I wiped the face a flood of thoughts came into my mind from the past 6 months.  I have been reading a lot about the mercy of God, and how He loves me even when I don’t deserve it.  With that though, I’ve also realized that the Lord allows me to love Him, even though He doesn’t need it, such as the gift of being able to wipe His face.

God humbles Himself so much that we, lowly sinners, are gifted with the opportunity of aiding in His divine plan, His plan for us, but also for those of the whole world.  He gives us every moment, and with every moment He entrusts another step of His plan to us.  This reality has brought me a lot of consolation because on the rougher of days it is easy to think that you don’t have much of a purpose in the now.  ‘When I’m a priest I’ll…When I’m done with college I’ll…When I get my own place I’ll…’   But no, the Lord has given you a purpose, right here, right now.  Yes it does manifest in different ways but it all comes down to love.  In our loving of Him, we build up His kingdom.  In our loving of His children, our brothers and sisters, we build up His kingdom.  In any moment we choose the greater good over our own desires, we build up His kingdom.  Obviously we couldn’t do anything without Him but He loves us so much that our actions do make a difference.
If you feel like you have no purpose, or your days blend together and you can’t see why you are where you are, look to the Father.  He made you beautiful and you are on a mission for Him right where you are.  Whether you can point to it or not, your heart longs for the love of the Father, and to love the Father.  Ask Him to give you the courage to actively will that love to manifest itself in your daily life.  No matter if you are completely on board with your faith, or if you’re fighting hard to understand it, or even if you are adamantly opposed to it, God wants to be united with you in Heaven someday.  For me that brings a great level of hope, for maybe, just maybe if I trust God to show me what it is that I am supposed to do every day, and I do my best to complete those tasks with generosity and love, I’ll get to be in heaven someday…and that desire is greater even than that of a seminarian on Saturday to get dusting as their chore.  I’m praying for you dear friends, that we together may open our hearts to a love more consistent than we’ve ever experienced before.     

1 comment:

  1. Bobby, this is beautiful. And you have no idea how much I needed something like this tonight.

    ReplyDelete